In light of the developments with the coronavirus (Covid-19) in our region, Living Classrooms is adjusting our operations to ensure we continue to meet the needs of those we serve while taking measures to protect our entire Living Classrooms community.
We thank our staff, trustees, volunteers, funders, and partners in the community for your patience and flexibility as we pivot and adjust to the daily changes affecting our most vulnerable communities. Below is an overview of adjustments being made to date. Please continue to check our website as these may change.
Several of our supporters have reached out to us asking how they can help. We are suspending in-person volunteer events at this time for everyone’s health and safety. The most important way that you can help Living Classrooms and our community is to donate financial support as we anticipate a tough road ahead. Every contribution will help to ensure the continuation of Living Classrooms programs in these unexpected times.
Thank you for your support of Living Classrooms to help our communities be safer, stronger, and healthier. We will continue to post updates on our website and through social media.
Programming and Facility Updates (effective Monday, March 16):
- Our Crossroads School buildings are temporarily closed until March 27, 2020. Students will begin remote learning this week.
- The UA House at Fayette and Patterson Park House will suspend all operations from March 16 through March 27.
- The POWER House serving the Perkins community (316 S. Caroline St.) will be open to provide afternoon meal services for our scholars from 12pm to 2pm beginning Monday, March 16.
- For additional East Baltimore meal sites, students and families can utilize:
- Paul Laurence Dunbar High School 1400 Orleans Street, Baltimore, MD 21231 – Free breakfast and lunch to go is available from 10 am to 2 pm.
- Chick Webb Recreation Center 623 N Eden St, Baltimore, MD 21205 – Free lunch and dinner to go is available from 2 pm to 7 pm.
- Virginia S. Baker Recreation Center (Patterson Park) 2601 E. Baltimore St. Baltimore 21224 – Free lunch and dinner to go is available from 2 pm to 7 pm.
- Our early childhood education programs are temporarily closed to the public. Educators will work remotely.
- After-school programming is currently suspended while schools are closed. Staff will continue to stay connected and engaged with students remotely.
- Our Masonville Cove campus will be closed to the public until March 30th. Staff will be working remotely.
- Kingman and Heritage Islands presently remains open to the public. Getting outdoors is a great way to fight inactivity from staying home – we encourage you to go take a walk or go fishing!
- The Dent House Community Center in Southwest, DC will be closed until March 27th. Case managers will continue to provide services remotely.
- Safe Streets Baltimore will continue to conduct community mediation and canvassing- while maintaining distance from others. Beginning March 16, our two Safe Streets sites will be open for appointments and mediations only. Community events, onsite and offsite, will temporarily cease until further notice.
- Fresh Start students will be learning from home and staff will continue to work with students remotely.
- Project Serve work crews will still be operational and will coordinate with the City during this time continuing to clean and revitalize areas across Baltimore City. Case managers will provide services remotely.
- The Broadway Overlook Center will be temporarily closed until March 27th and our Workforce Development case managers will work remotely.
- The BeMore Athletic League’s lacrosse and track & field seasons are suspended until Baltimore City Public Schools re-open.
- Historic Ships in Baltimore (including the USS Constellation, USCGC Taney, USS Torsk, Lightship Chesapeake, and the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse) will be temporarily closed until March 27th.
- The Inner Harbor Paddle and Electric Boats will temporarily close until March 27th.
- The Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park Museum will be closed from March 16-March 27th.
- We will continue to coordinate with the National Park Service regarding Fort McHenry programming.
- In-person volunteer events are currently suspended at this time.
We are grateful for your ongoing support. Please continue to check back for further updates.